Mission, Vision & Goals
To provide personal, professional, and academic enrichment for its scholars, staff, and community at
large. Through personalized mentoring, tutoring and advisement, CAMP will guide its participants in developing practical skills necessary to attain a baccalaureate degree and beyond. CAMP will provide scholars with the tools to help them successfully complete their first year at the university by means of academic, social and financial support. In collaboration with university departments, CAMP will ensure that CAMP scholars have every opportunity to transition into programs that will continue to support them after their first year of college.
College Assistance Migrant Program (CAMP) will foster the dream of attaining a post-secondary education for students from a rural farm working background through self-empowerment.
- Identify and recruit eligible students in high school across New Mexico and the surrounding areas.
- To provide information and support for students and their families to understand the potential of a college education and to ensure that students receive adequate preparation for college during their senior year in high school, including filing for financial aid in a timely manner.
- To provide a quality program that will help CAMP scholars develop the skills necessary to successfully complete their first academic year and continue through a completion of a bachelor’s degree.
- To provide a complete package of support services including meaningful social experiences, cultural enrichment activities, leadership skills, and life-long focus of personal growth necessary to complete the freshman year, and contribute to the students' successful completion of an undergraduate degree.
- To provide financial assistance for academic living costs during CAMP scholars’ first academic year.
- To provide CAMP scholars with access to various resources within the university to support their personal and professional development.
- To educate CAMP Scholars on their desired career paths, and provide direction and a firm foundation for further educational endeavors.
- To retain and graduate CAMP scholars from the university and encourage the pursuit of graduate and/or professional degrees.
- To expose CAMP scholars to the academic and professional opportunities within the Science, Technology, Engineering and Math (STEM) fields on campus and around the UNM community.